Skip to main content

Oh cherries!


Oh cherries!



Cherry picking has become our annual family tradition. With a fruit loving toddler, this trip is something you cannot miss. Living in the bay area, it’s a short one-day trip to Brentwood, CA.
We always visit the U-Pick Nunn Better Farms in Brentwood, CA. They open early - mid May and are mostly open until end of June. Depending on when you visit, it can be hot during the day. We try and start early in the day so we can be there by 10/10:30am. This works out well, as there isn’t a lot of crowd and the weather even on very hot days is bearable.


They have a huge parking lot but it still can get crowded and finding parking can be difficult at time. Be patient and you are sure to find a spot! Go straight to the entrance, pick up a bucket and off you are on your adventure.

Toddlers love to hold their own bucket so be sure to grab one for yourself The cherry trees here have low hanging fruits which make it easy for the toddlers to pick. We head straight to one of the back rows as those seem to usually have less traffic.
The secret is in finding the right tree and picking the right cherries. What we have found in these years is, there are a lot of trees that seem to have great cherries but a few have the best! Look for trees with dark maroon colored cherries. The reddish ones are not always sweet as they are still to ripe. The dark maroon are usually ripe and sweet.
We bring our cherry pitter along, its a life saver! I don’t have to worry about my toddler swallowing seeds or chocking on any...

In these years, we spent half a day at the farm, eating cherries, relaxing under the trees or when its too hot, have headed out after cherry picking.
Tips :
  • Arrive early to avoid traffic and crowd
  • Grab a bucket for yourself along with the toddler
  • Wear closed toe shoes
  • Bring a pair of changing cloths for toddler/kids
  • Carry cash! (They accept ONLY cash for purchasing cherry after you have picked)
  • Sunscreen
  • Cap/Hat
  • Cherry pitter (You will thank me later )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A for Apple picking, Bay Area!

We love fruits as a family! And what better way to spend your weekend than this?! Blessed living in California, that offers so many varieties of fruits and farms. Apples come at the perfect time, end of summer, early fall... It's a great way to enjoy some warmth in the farms and pumpkin decorations! Alright, apple picking, what's important!                                      Timing, choice of the farms and picking them right! Timing: I will classify this in two parts, a. When in the season 2. What time of the day. a. When?! We learnt it the hard way but it's important to go early in the season. The earlier in the season the fruits are easier to access, and there's lots of them! Farms usually put up their calendars every year, try and track the times they open for U-Pick. I noticed this time that the farm we went to offered postcards service to inform you whe...

How do I setup an open ended play space?

Navigating our way to building a "yes" space with has endless possibilities! Once I got rid of all the passive toys(milder way of saying battery operated, self entertaining toys), I started thinking of what can I add.  I wanted to be cautious that I don't make this an expensive affair. Be more reasonable understanding this is an experiment but also knowing that I should try! Reading through a lot of article, experiences etc, there was a very common theme in all of them. RE-USABLE!!!  I am learning as I go too, so from how I have interpreted this is - You want to add things that are natural can be re-purposed in various different way in various different types of activities. Here are some examples : Play Dough Wooden blocks Sand Water Paint Sticks, leaves, pine cones etc They are sounds simple, doable and things that make sense. These don't cost a fortune too, so I started with them. I already had some like play dough, sand, etc. An...

Wandering Toddler in Kauai,Hawaii!

Napali Coast When you think of Hawaii, you think of beaches, sand and beautiful weather! That's exactly what we had in mind when we thought of going to Hawaii. One of the islands in central Pacific, with tropical weather makes it a perfect vacation destination. We went to the island called "Kauai" this time around. When we plan family vacation here's something's we consider: Time : What's the best time? Truthfully, Hawaii is good all year long. ;) Summers can be really hot but then winter's can be rainy. Having the luxury of planning it without school restrictions, we planned it in September.  Going in September has it's advantages : 1. Cheaper airfares 2. Cheaper hotels/resorts 3. Less crowded 4. Weather is nicer! We went to Kauai, Hawaii mid Sept and found that airfare were cheaper after Labor Day weekend.  Hotel: This particular choice has largely changed since becoming a parent. We no more prefer hotels, rather resor...